WMF is the abbreviation for Württembergische Metallwarenfabrik, which in English means Wurtemberg Metalware Factory. The history of this foundry is well documented [1,2,3]. WMF was created in 1880 after the successful merger of two Wurtemberg foundries, the Geislingen factory belonging to Daniel Straub (Straub & Sohn) and the Esslingen factory of Alfred Ritter A. The first foundry was commercially more successful, while the second one was using a more advanced technology of galvanic silver deposition, which was first applied in Esslingen by the German chemist Carl Haegele (in 1871), the brother-in-law of Alfred Ritter.In 1881, after the retirement of Daniel Straub, Carl Haegele became the managing director of. N 1886, WMF bought the Russian company of Roman Plewkiewicz Roman Plewkiewicz & Co.
In Warsaw to establish itself on the huge Russian market. In 1897, WMF acquired the Göppingen factory of nickel-plated wares (Metallwarenfabrik Schauffler & Safft), situated near Stutgart in Württemberg, and then the director of this factory, Hans Schauffler, became the next WMF managing director (in 1898) and kept this position for the next seven years, until 1905. The WMF board of directors also moved to Göppingen.
In 1900, WMF took control over the Vienna foundry of silver-plated wares, Albert Köhler & Cie. Plewkiewicz company would stay under WMF until 1914 and would also produce items under its own mark. Finally, in 1905, WMF bought the controlling interest of the Cologne firm Orivit A.
Producing the items from tin-based alloys. The export of silver-plated table ware and domestic items continuously grew, which is testified by the publishing of WMF catalogues in three languages. Three consecutive editions of the English WMF catalogue were published in 1900, 1906 and in 1910.
In 1914, the number of employees working only at Geislingen factory reaches 3500 and WMF became the largest industry producer in whole Wurtemberg. In the same year the Esslingen factory was dismantled and its equipment was incorporated into the Geislingen foundry. During the next thirty years WMF experienced a period of rapid expansion, which lasted until the beginning of the World War in 1914.
WMF factory used the standard cutlery marks, namely, four-letter inscriptions WMFN and W. They are discussed in detail in my accompanying paper on WMF cutlery mark. The letter "N" is the sign for Neusilber (Alpacca), used as a base metal for silvering.
The length of WMFN inscription is 3.4-3.9 mm. Letter inscription "as" means artificial darkening of the silver surface to a nearly black colour, the so-called "antique silver finish". The "O" letter put in a rhombus means an increased (by 1.5 times) thickness of plated silver layer.The size of the "O" rhombus is between 1.5 mm x 2.6 mm and 1.9 mm x 2.9 mm. The coffee pot measures 9.64 in (24.5cm) long from edge of spout to edge of handle, and is 11.81 in (30cm). We always take lots of pictures and provide detailed description of our items. Therefore, you are requested to check all posted images and review the description section before purchasing our item, we clean and inspect our items for accuracy and precision. DHL - POST DZ - EMS DZ.
This item is in the category "Antiques\Silver\Silverplate\Tea/Coffee Pots & Sets". The seller is "khaled_5093" and is located in this country: DZ.
This item can be shipped worldwide.